Monday, July 30, 2012

Get Twitter Notifications By Email

I have had twitter for a while and while I am not often active I do follow many people. Some have many posts that I like to look through when I am bored and some I want to see every tweet. These two goals fight themselves because the many tweets that I don't care too much about often flood out the ones that I don't want to miss. In this post I will show you a simple way to get email notifications from the people you care about.

The solution was tweetymail, a great service with a fantastic name. tweetymail provides many additional features such as enhanced twitter notifications and complete twitter access over email, but the feature we care about is the automatic email notifications. You can use this to get notifications about the people you care about.

How To Do It

First you need to setup a list of the people you want to get notifications from. Go to twitter, then "FOLLOWING", then "Lists". Create a new list, I made it private and called it "notifications".

Next, go to http://tweetymail.com/ and sign up. You will need to give it access to your twitter account (you can revoke access at any time). The free account is enough for our purposes. Once you are logged in go to "Alerts" and select "Create a List Alert". In list name put ${username}/${listname}, in my case it was kevincox_ca/notifications. You can put a filter if you want and select how you wish to receive emails. Pay careful attention to this if you are going to be subscribing to high-volume users.

Lastly, add the users you wish to be notified about to the list you created. You should start receiving emails according to your settings. You can easily subscribe and unsubscribe to users by adding and removing them from this list.

I hope you found that useful, I have been using this service for a while now with no issues and haven't missed an important tweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment